Also known as Semen Assessment and Sperm Count. Patients are advised to abstain for 3-5 days prior to sperm checking. The most important parameters in a semen analysis are:
- Concentration (also called "count") - how many sperm are in each ml of semen?
- Motility - what is the percentage of sperms are swimming forward?
- Morphology - what is the percentage of sperm are normally shaped?
An acceptable ‘normal’ Sperm Count includes the criteria mentioned below (WHO 2010 guidelines):
- A volume of at least 1.5ml
- A total sperm count of more than 15 million sperm per ml
- A motility of 40% or more
- A proportion of normal forms of 4% or more